Week 18: Rocks in the Shoes

Haha the title is both literal and figurative, beautiful thing really. My chacos gather so many little pebbles that just destroy my feet, and sometimes I can't feel the pebbles anymore, so I'll take off my shoes at home and rocks will be caked into my shoes, sometimes my feet too haha. And figuratively, because of the NEW YEAR WHAAAATTT, almost everything fell through and it was just really disappointing, so that was the figurative "rock in my shoes" this week. But, speaking of rocks, thank the heavens that we have the opportunity to build on the Rock of our Redeemer, even Christ himself! It's amazing!! And totally went with my theme, I think the Gospel's true!!! Don't worry, it's definitely true haha.

NEW YEAR'S 2020!!!!
Well New Years was awesome!! No one wanted to meet with us, so we decided to do what we know best, SPREAD SOME NEW YEAR CHEER!!! And by cheer, we mean COOKIES!! So we made tons of cookies and took them to everyone we know, it was so much fun!! And everyone really appreciated it, so that was great news!! And the people here have the cutest New Years tradition: the kids will make these shakers out of a piece of wood, two nails, and bottle caps, and then they go around with their friends door to door and sing this song and play their "instruments." The people will then give them like 5 cents and a little candy, so it's kind of like Halloween, Cabo Verde style, but on NEW YEARS!! Isn't that so cute? The adults, afterwards, will make tons of food and go from house to house visiting their neighbors and sharing their food with everyone. It is literally the cutest thing I've ever seen!! And every house we went to offered us food, so it sufficeth me to say that, yes ma'am, I gained some weight.  Or just made up for the dinners that we don't eat here. Let's think POSITIVE hahaha.

The FOG
So from the second 2020 came runnin' in, there's been this very mysterious fog that covers the whole island, it's so spoooooky haha. It's actually really pretty, until we passed drunk men every single place we went, then it was kind of creepy. But the Cabo Verdeans say that it's the wind and sand blowing over the islands from the Sahara Desert, so I'm feeling kind of cool because....that's kind of cool!! Haha

Vocab
I've learned some awesome Kriol words this week: Bonêze--the gossip (someone who just knows everything about everyone); Txuf-txif--A laundry term, it's like the rinsing part and scrubbing the soap out of the clothes so you can dry them; and Dia Zâ--It's been a while. Kriol is so fun, But I literally can't speak it whoops, I'm working on it.

Spiritual
I loved this scripture this week, Helaman 10:4-5--
aBlessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with bunwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine cown life, but hast sought my dwill, and to keep my commandments.
And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that aall things shall be bdone unto thee according to thy cword, for thou shalt dnot ask that which is contrary to my will.
Isn't that such an awesome promise?? I wish I could go more into it, but I have so little time, but these blessings are SO AWESOME!!!!! 
I love you all so much!!! Good luck going into this awesome year of 2020!!!! It's gonna be awesome!!!! YAY!!!
Sister Melo








Comments