Week 20: The Volcano Virus

Haha it's been a rough week my friends, but hey, I'm alive and I'm breathing and I'm on a beautiful island with beautiful people, so everything will be fine!!

My first week in Fogo:
Was what you would call a mess haha. First of all, my luggage was lost, so literally all week, I lived off of 2 skirts and shirts and a little kit they gave me at the airport for losing my bag; I like to call it the ESSENTIALS KIT! And I lived, woohoo! My comp is so sweet! Her name is Sister Moussa-Kadri, she's from Mississippi, and she is so fun! On our way to our area, which is on the other side of the island, we were crammed in a 12 passenger van with, I kid you not, 30 people. We were really gettin' to know each other haha, what a memory!

Sick as a Dog:
That's right folks, your girl is sick as a dog. On Wednesday, I woke up with a sore throat, Thursday with an eye infection and the flu, and I about died. We had to stay in the house all week because I could barely stand up without getting so dizzy or wanting to throw up. And Sis Moussa had to stay in anyway because she hurt her foot and the doctor told her she had to stay in for 3 days and rest it, so I mean it all worked out, we were just both miserable all week. And man, I got so homesick. Something about being sick on the mission just made me want to be home so bad, somewhere I knew, somewhere comfortable, with my sweet mom taking care of me, maybe watching Gilmore Girls or some other timeless classic, it just really hit me this week. But, I've got medicine, I just got my suitcase YAY, and this week will be better. Honestly it would be hard to get worse KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Spiritual:
With being sick all week, I became really discouraged because I wanted to work so so bad, but literally couldn't get out of bed. But a verse in 3 Nephi 10:6 really helped me: "O ye house of Israel whom I have spared, how oft will I gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, if ye will repent and return unto me with full purpose of heart." I know I can RETURN with FULL PURPOSE OF HEART, and all will be well. The Lord knows how to comfort us, isn't that amazing?!

I love you all!! 
Sister Melo






Comments